- Financial: I’m having a difficult time with this one. Some months I’ve managed to keep to the $100/month budget, others I was over, and others I was way under. My cats have been unanticipated expenses this year, too. Overall, though, I’m working toward getting my student loans out of hock, my car payment caught up, money in savings, and a 401k by the end of the year. Some of that will still be in-progress (student loans will be ongoing forever), but the rest will be doable! I feel kinda good about that.
- Physical: I’m nowhere near my target weight loss goal. I can’t get there unless I lose a leg. I have greatly improved my fitness this year so far, and I am running my first 5k in December (jogging, really, but it’s a start), and I hope to do that ONE mile in under 10 minutes before the end of the year. I will push on that. I’m doing the Jillian Michaels’ 30-day shred. I’ve worked out more this year than any other, and I’ve changed my diet more, too. I guess I just wasn’t consistent enough. I know that this summer I had a setback with a hip injury that knocked me down for 12 weeks, and I lost a lot of ground… that’s honestly not an excuse, but it did not help me progress toward my goals. I got sloppy. It happens to most people. At this stage, I’m now at the heaviest I’ve been all year. I’m sticking to a brutally restrictive diet and tough exercise regimen (Couch-to-5k and the 30-day shred both) and at this point, hope to re-achieve my low weight for the year.
- Beauty: I’ve continued to make efforts on this, but not as consistently as I could. I still have my hair in a bun a lot (because it’s quick, easy, and controls my hair). After the 2nd haircut I decided I couldn’t heat style my hair as much because the split ends were seriously bad… and without that, frizz is not a style.
- Be nicer to my cat: poor Mickey. She’s having a really bad time of it. Her eyes have quit producing tears, she was scratching bald and bleeding spots in herself… nicer is a relative term. She’s on daily eyedrops/cream (which she hates) and a prescription diet (which she’s convinced is starving her to death) and at this moment she has laryngitis. I’ve probably spent over $1300 in vet bills. Her vaccines are up-to-date. I still love my kitty to pieces and we snuggle every night.
- Photo-of-the-week: this is the one last section I need to work on updating! There are some missing weeks, but I’ll be posting as many as I can. I don’t think I can hit 95% though. Some pictures were apparently lost due to technology-issues, but really, I think that was one or two photos.
[singlepic id=98 w=320 h=240 float=none]
Another picture of Stormageddon! He’s more photogenic than Mickey (sorry, Mickey). And he’s growing SO fast! This is a rare sleepy moment; mostly, it’s ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!
[singlepic id=78 w=320 h=240 float=none]
This week, I went out with a friend and coworker. We had a very enjoyable evening over some wines! It’s fairly unusual for me to have any type of social life, and it was nice to get to know my friend a bit better.
[singlepic id=118 w=320 h=240 float=]
This week, I did a 3-day weekend and visited my parents in Floyd, VA. I didn’t take many pictures (that turned out well), so forgive me for that one, but…
[singlepic id=94 w=320 h=240 float=none]
Yes, Halloween was this week. I know. Stormy was being cute. I mean, seriously, look at that!
The really sad thing was that I didn’t take Halloween pictures (of Jack-o-Lanterns, etc.) until the day after Halloween. That makes me an idiot because none qualified for my photo for this week!
There IS a story behind the food. My coworker’s 10th anniversary (of employment with the McDaniel Institute of Anti-Aging Research) was this week. We held a potluck (per his request). I knew that the boss’s wife would be providing sushi from his favourite restaurant, and I wanted to provide something that could go with it that more of our staff would be willing to try (i.e. no raw fish/seafood). I opted for tamago because it’s egg-based (which rules out the vegan employee, sorry, man), and a traditional Japanese dessert-Oshiruko. I remember the dessert from the first Japanese restaurant I ever encountered it in. I was curious so I ordered it, and I was really surprised to see a bean soup (this is not something Americans would think of). I tried it and I loved it, and I’ve always remembered it. This was my first attempt at making it! Other than needing to make the mochi rice balls smaller, it was GREAT.
Unfortunately, I also learned that crock pots with stuff in don’t transport well. Half of the sweet, sticky bean soup ended up in the floorboards of my Yaris. EW!
I’m starting to think I’m vain or something. It’s not that; I have other photos from this day, but this one’s my favourite. Ric and I went to Stockley Gardens with one of my coworkers (who wants to find local artists). After walking around and looking at some AMAZING art, we stopped at the Hague in downtown Norfolk for pictures.
My poor Mickey. This does not help my resolution to be nicer to my cat. Except that maybe in a weird way, it should… she has been really itchy the last couple of weeks, and it has reached the point that her eyes are swollen. It turns out she’s not making any tears, and she’s probably scratching because her eyes are so dry! Poor, miserable little kitty 🙁
The weather for sailing won’t last much longer, and I was really lucky that we got in one REALLY good day. We had NO mishaps–and that may be our first trip out of our new marina where we made it out of the channel! It was relaxing, and I needed it this week.
This week, I did something very unusual for me: I went out. With a friend. On a Friday night, even! We went to Virginia Beach and walked her dogs and ran along the beach. The weather was gorgeous that evening, and the sunset reflected off the sand in a really neat way. My phone camera didn’t quite do it justice, but it’s my favourite picture from the trip!